Sparkling Paper Strip Ornaments
Easy technique and non-traditional colors make these foam spheres a welcome holiday addition or quick gift. Instead of solids try scraps of favorite scrapbook prints too.
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Solid cardstock: color of choice (A); metallic silver (B); tan (C)
- 1. Use marker to divide foam ball into eight equal verticalsections. As an alternative, wrap rubber bands around ballfrom top to bottom, dividing it into vertical eighths; marklines with marker and remove rubber bands. Mark center top andbottom of ball.
- 2. Cut 9-1/2"-long strips from papers as follows: two each1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" from color A; same from color B; two 1/8"and four 1/2" from color C. Divide paper strips into piles bywidth for ease of assembly.
- 3. Beginning and ending at top of ball, wrap two 1/2"-wide Astrips around ball along quarter lines; be sure they cross atexact center bottom of ball. Glue and pin paper ends at top.
- 4. Repeat Step 3 with two 1/2"-wide B strips, dividing ballinto eighths. Repeat again with four 1/2"-wide C strips, wrapping stripsbetween A and B strips. Glue and pin all paper ends at top of ball.
- 5. Repeat Step 3 with 1/4"-wide paper strips to cover anyexposed foam between 1/2"-wide strips; alternate colors asdesired. If paper layers become too thick at top of ball, trimexcess from ends of 1/4"-wide strips and glue ends near, butnot on top of, center top of ball.
- 6. Repeat Step 3 with 1/8"-wide paper strips, layering stripsto provide contrast.
- 7. Punch two flowers from tan paper (color C). Glue flowers tocenter top and bottom of ball.
- 8. If desired, cut two more 1/2" x 9-1/2" strips from color A.Glue ends of one strip together to make loop; pinch loop tocreate bow and glue to top of ornament. Fold second strip inhalf, trim ends and glue to ornament under bow.
- 9. For hanging loop, cut one more 1/8" x 9-1/2" strip fromcolor A. Glue ends together to make loop; glue and pin tocenter of bow.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Mod Cube OrnamentRibbon Extravaganza Ornament
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog