Mosaic Seashell Wreath
Wreath of treasures combines two favorite techniques - mosaics and seashell crafts. Beautiful displayed indoors or outside in a protected area.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Wreath, 12" x 2-1/4" x 2"
- Light blue acrylic paint
- Mosaic pieces (repurposed/broken china plates and ceramic tiles)
- Mosaic tile leaves, six
- Seashells, assorted
- Acrylic spackling
- Wire hanger
- 1. Wrap plates and tiles, one at a time, in old towel. Placetowel on hard surface, like concrete sidewalk, and rapcontents smartly with hammer. Do not hammer repeatedly or yourisk disintegrating mosaic pieces. Check inside of towelperiodically and remove pieces of desired size; wear workgloves at all times when handling broken items. Be sure toremove all shards from towel or discard towel entirely toprevent accidental cuts.
- 2. Use glue gun to secure mosaic pieces, including leaves, tofoam wreath in pleasing design. Use tile knippers to cut somepieces to size as needed. Fill in open spaces with shells orother interesting items. For large shells, use serrated knifeto hollow out spaces in wreath so shells sit firmly, as incenter opening. Refer to photograph as placement guide.
- 3. Follow manufacturer's directions to mix spackling "grout"in disposable container until smooth and spreadable. Add adrop or two of acrylic paint to tint grout slightly.
- 4. Apply grout to inner edges of wreath using spatula; be sureto push grout into spaces between mosaic pieces. Use flatpaintbrush to spread grout around shells. Smooth grout as muchas possible as you work. Let set a few minutes, then gentlysmooth using damp sponge. Rinse sponge often in fresh water.Use wet paintbrush to remove excess grout from shells and tight spaces.
- 5. Use spatula to work grout into spaces between mosaic pieceson outside edges and front of wreath. Use damp sponge to wipeaway excess grout and to smooth edges.
- 6. Let grout set up slightly, then wipe face of mosaic piecesagain with damp sponge. Let dry completely. Use clean, softrag to polish mosaic pieces.
- 7. Use wire cutters to cut 12" length from coat hanger. Foldwire in half and twist ends together, creating small loop ateach end. Use pencil to poke two small holes in top centerback of wreath and glue wire ends into holes. Dip straightpins in glue and insert into foam on angle through wire loops.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Seashell & Beach Glass Candle RingsGreen Patina Button WreathPebbled Garden Ornament
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog