Icy snowflakes and wintry winds make it a perfect day for penguins! Perky pair is off to catch a little dinner and have a lot of fun.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Ball, 2-1/2"
- Eggs, one each: 5"; 2-1/2"
- Fleece fabrics: 12" x 12" black; 12" x 18" white;
- lime green, pink and yellow scraps
- Felt, 6" x 9" each: black; orange; white
- Polka dot cotton fabric, 3" x 22"
- White chenille stem
- Yellow button, 6mm
- Black beads, two each: 8mm; 6mm
- Pom poms, 1": pink; green
- Plastic snowflakes: 6"; 2-1/2"; two 1"
- Fiberfill stuffing, small amount
- Clear thread
- Cosmetic blush
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslice from top and bottom of large foam egg. Cut thin slicefrom bottom of foam ball. Cut small foam egg in half lengthwise.
- 2. Cut pattern pieces as follows: Adult Body, Baby Back andBaby Front from fleece; remaining patterns from felt. Inaddition, cut 6" white fleece circle for adult head.
- 3. Follow directions below for individual assembly. Onceassembled, cut 3" and 6" lengths from chenille stem. Use clearthread to tie 2-1/2" snowflake to end of 6" piece and onesmall snowflake to end of 3" piece. Poke end of 6" pole intoadult's body below wing. Glue 3" pole into baby's wings as shown.
- 4. Glue baby to front of adult penguin. Glue both penguins to large snowflake.Adult Penguin -
- 1. Glue white fleece body piece to one side of large egg,applying glue along fleece edges only. Glue black piece toback of egg, curving black edges over white.
- 2. Place foam ball in center of white fleece circle. Stretchfleece tightly across ball to flat side, smoothing gathers asmuch as possible; glue fleece edges to cut side of ball. Gluehead to narrow end of body.
- 3. Glue black and white wing pieces together in pairs. Gluewings to top of body at "X" indicated on pattern.
- 4. Glue beak and feet pieces together in pairs, applying verythin line of glue around outside edge and leaving smallopening for stuffing; let dry. Stuff feet and glue openingsclosed; glue to bottom front of body.
- 5. Use scissors point to poke eye holes in head; glue 8mmbeads into holes. Lightly stuff beak and glue open edges tohead below eyes. Apply blush to cheeks.
- 6. For fleece hat, cut 3" x 8" lime green piece and 4" x 8"pink piece; overlap and glue long edges 1/4" and let dry. Foldfabric wrong sides together; glue seam and let dry. Gatherpink end and tie closed with clear thread. Turn hat right sideout. Fold green brim up 1" twice and glue hat on head. Gluegreen pom pom to top of hat and snowflake to brim; glue buttonto snowflake center.
- 7. Fringe ends of polka dot fabric strip 1/2"; tie scarf around neck.Baby Penguin -
- 1. Center one egg half on white fleece oval, pulling fleece tocut side of egg and gluing edges to secure. Glue black fleeceto back of foam, bringing edges to front.
- 2. Make wings, face and feet in same way as adult penguin, butdo not stuff shapes. Glue shapes to body; feet should be underbottom edge of baby penguin.
- 3. For fleece hat, cut 4-1/2" x 5" yellow piece. Fold fabricwrong sides together and glue seam; let dry. Finish hat insame way as adult penguin's hat, folding brim up only 1/2".Glue pink pom pom to top of hat.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Polar PalsSnow BunniesSkiing Penguin
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog