Old World St. Nicholas
Similar vintage paper mâché Santas sell for $100 or more online. Create your own heirloom this season with affordable STYROFOAM™ Brand foam. Make a few for gift giving too!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Ball, 3"
- Cone, 12" x 4"
- Egg, 2-1/2"
- Acrylic paints: black; red; tan; white
- Artist mediums: brown antiquing medium; fine crackle medium
- Bright white, instant paper mch mix
- Miniature artificial greenery or toys
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 1"from tip of foam cone. Use glue gun to glue narrow end of foamegg to top of cone; let dry.
- 2. Cut one-third from bottom of foam ball. Cut a notch intocenter front and center back of ball to form feet. Use fingersto round off cut edges. Use glue gun to glue base of cone totop of ball, pressing firmly to secure; let dry.
- 3. Follow manufacturer's directions to prepare several cups ofinstant paper mch. Place foam Santa form on a piece ofheavy-duty cardboard or a plate so it will be easy to movewhen wet. Cover foam form with an even layer of paper mch,keeping remaining mixture covered with plastic as you work.
- 4. Gently roll small amounts of paper mch in palms tocreate arms. Press arms to sides of figure. Use clay tools oran orange stick to shape end of each arm into a mitten.
- 5. Working on an edge of cardboard or plate, pat out a smallamount of paper mch into a 1/8"-thick pancake. Use craftknife to cut out a rectangular collar and gently wrap collararound cone over arms.
- 6. In same way as arms, roll a cone-shaped hat and pressfirmly to top of head.
- 7. Shape a long, V-shaped beard from mixture and press toface. Shape beard ends with fingers to add dimension.
- 8. Pat out thin strips of paper mch and use craft knife totrim into 1/2"-wide fur trim. Wrap trim around base of hat,collar, sleeve cuffs and bottom of coat. Cut a narrow stripfor coat front trim.
- 9. Pat out small amounts of paper mch into flat pocketshapes. Press pockets to sides of coat as shown, gentlypulling tops of pockets out a bit.
- 10. Roll short, thin paper mch ropes and press to beardand hair to give fuller appearance. Add small tufts foreyebrows and to create nose. Use clay tools or woodenhousehold tools to shape eye area. Roll paper mch mustacheand press to face. Use tool to create small hole undermustache for mouth.
- 11. Let Santa dry completely. Refer to photo to paint Santawith acrylic paints. Let dry completely.
- 12. Follow manufacturer's directions to apply crackle mediumto paper mch Santa. Let dry completely.
- 13. Following manufacturer's directions, use paper towel towipe on antiquing medium. Be sure medium gets down into cracksin surface. Use damp natural sponge to remove medium untilpleased with antique effect. Let dry completely.
- 14. Fill pockets with artificial greenery or miniature toys,if desired.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Vintage Paper Santa and ReindeerBirch Bark Father Christmas
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog