Scarf Surfin' Penguins
It's family time on the ice for these perky penguins surfing along on Dad's scarf. Foam eggs make a perfect base for fleece and felt creations.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Fleece fabric scraps: black, 7" x 22"; white,
- 5" x 10"; red, 6" x 11"
- Gold felt, 9" x 12" sheet
- Recycled red/white striped sweater or knit fabric, 8" x 18"
- Fiberfill stuffing
- White pom poms, three 1"
- Red/white polka dot ribbon, 1" x 1/2 yd.
- Red button
- White plastic snowflake, 2"
- Black beads: four 5mm; two 6mm
- Cosmetic blush
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslice from bottom of large foam egg and one small foam egg tocreate large and medium penguin bodies; save slices for futureuse. Cut remaining foam egg in half lengthwise to create smallpenguin; set aside one half for future project.
- 2. Cut body front pieces from white fleece as indicated. Cuttwo beak pieces for each penguin from gold felt. For hats andwings, fold fleece right sides together before cutting patternpieces. In addition, cut body backs from black fleece asfollows: 7" x 9" large; 6" x 8" medium; 4" x 5" small. Usescissors to round corners of each body back, creating ovals.
- 3. Center and glue body backs to foam eggs, wrapping edgesaround to front. Wrap edges around to cut side of smallpenguin. Glue body front pieces to larger eggs, over blackfleece edges. Glue small penguin's face to one end of half-egg.
- 4. Fold each wing in half and glue edges together; let dry.Glue short wing ends to sides of each penguin.
- 5. Cut two 2" x 11" scarf ties from recycled sweater. Spotglue one striped scarf piece around large penguin, two-thirdsof the way up body; trim excess. Loop second scarf piecethrough first piece at center back and spot glue to secure;let scarf tails trail behind.
- 6. Referring to photo for placement, use scissors tip to pokeholes for eyes in each penguin. Glue eye beads in holes. Usefingertip to blush cheeks.
- 7. Glue beak pieces together in pairs. Glue short end of eachbeak to penguin's face, slightly curving ends downward to adddimension; let dry.
- 8. Glue feet to end of small penguin's body. Glue feet tobottom of medium penguin. Glue large penguin's feet togetherin pairs and glue to bottom of body.
- 9. Cut 6" x 8" hat from recycled sweater. Fold hat in half tomeasure 4" x 6" and glue short ends together; let dry. Tie oneend closed using heavy-duty thread; clip ends. Turn hat rightside out, stuff lightly with fiberfill, and glue onto largepenguin's head. Glue pom pom to top of hat.
- 10. For small and medium penguins' hats, glue long, curvededges together; let dry. Turn hats right side out and glueonto heads with seams at center back. Fold tip of each hat toside and spot glue in place. Glue pom poms to tips. Gluesnowflake and button to medium hat.
- 11. Tie polka dot ribbon around medium penguin for scarf; trimends. Spread out large penguin's scarf and glue smallerpenguins to it as shown.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Fishing PenguinsSledding PenguinsPolar Pals
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog