Polka Dot Pop Ornament
Foam balls get a fresh and colorful makeover thanks to bright gift wrap and easy-to-use circle punches. What a fun, festive way to recycle paper scraps!
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Gift wrap, five or six assorted solid colors
- 1. Cut a 1" x 9" strip from base-color gift wrap and fold in half lengthwise. Glue paper wrong sides together and let dry.
- 2. Cut 3/8" x 12" strips from base-color gift wrap, approximately 18 - 20. Using largest punch, punch 10 circles from contrasting gift wrap. Punch several 1/2", 3/4" and 1" circles from remaining gift wrap colors. Set circles aside.
- 3. Insert wooden skewer into foam ball. Using paintbrush, apply thin, even coat of paper paste to backs of two paper strips. Beginning and ending at skewer, wrap strips around ball, dividing it into vertical quarters.
- 4. Working with two paper strips at a time, repeat Step 3 until entire surface of foam ball is covered. Overlap strips as needed. If paper strips begin to bunch up, use scissors to make tiny snips in paper edges so strips will lay flat. Place skewer in heavy glass or jar until paste dries.
- 5. In same way as paper strips, adhere largest paper circles to ornament, creating a balanced look. Refer to photo to fill in spaces with remaining circles, allowing some overlap for added interest. Punch 1/4" circles to fill in any small spaces. Let dry; remove skewer.
- 6. For hanging loop, cut narrow strip from one long edge of paper piece cut in Step 1. Use glue gun to apply a dot of glue over hole in ornament; insert ends of hanging loop. Let dry completely.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog