Scandinavian Felt Elf
Create an Old World-inspired elf to charm holiday visitors. So cozy and cute, you’ll want to make several and our Scandinavian Felt Santa, too. Great gift idea!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Acrylic paints: black; pink; yellow
- Wooden ball, 1/4"
- Black half-round beads, 5mm, two
- Lightweight one-step spackling
- Cream felt
- Natural wool roving
- Woven ribbon, 1/3 yd. each: 1/4" cream; 3/8" Scandinavian-look heart/floral
- Tan chenille stem
- Pink cosmetic blush or chalk
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin slice from each end of foam egg. Cut very thin slice from one side of 2" foam ball. Cut 1-1/2" foam ball in half; cut very thin slice from top of one half. Set aside second half of ball for another project.
- 2. Place foam half-ball rounded side up on work surface. Cut small "V" shape into center front of half-ball to create feet; shape feet with fingers. Paint feet black; let dry.
- 3. Using glue gun, glue flat side of 2" ball head to narrow end of egg body, twisting shapes together for snug fit. Glue bottom of body to top of feet; let dry.
- 4. In a disposable container, mix a small amount of spackling with a dot of pink paint and a dot of yellow to create fleshtone. Use paintbrush to apply an even layer of spackling mixture to head, dipping brush into clean water to smooth any visible brush marks. Let dry completely. Sand surface; wipe away dust.
- 5. Glue black bead eyes and wooden ball nose to face as shown. Blush cheeks using small, soft brush or applicator.
- 6. For clothing, cut the following pieces from cream felt: hat, 4" x 7-1/4"; coat, 4" x 9-1/2"; collar, 1-1/4" x 5-1/2"; sleeves, two 2" x 3". Glue 3/8"-wide trim along bottom long edge of coat fabric; trim excess and let dry.
- 7. Wrap coat around body, overlapping ends at center front. Make 1" vertical cuts in felt on each side, over "shoulder" areas, and three vertical cuts along back neckline of coat so felt can be overlapped to fit snuggly around body. Glue felt edges to secure. Glue collar around neck with upper ends touching under chin; pin fabric to foam until glue dries. Remove pins.
- 8. For each arm, cut a 3-1/2" chenille stem length. Fold over one end 1/4" to create hand. Glue each piece of sleeve fabric into a tube. Glue arms into sleeves; let dry. Glue tops of sleeves to body, just beneath collar. Carefully bend arms into desired position. Tie 1/4"-wide ribbon around waist for belt; trim excess and cut fringe into belt ends.
- 9. Overlap and glue short ends of hat fabric 1/4" to create tube; let dry. Sew gathering stitch along one short end of tube, 1-1/2" from edge. Pull gathers tight; knot and clip threads. Cut 1/4"-wide fringe into top of hat above stitching. Turn bottom edge of hat up and glue hat onto head.
- 10. Using a craft knife, score a "beard line" across lower half of face; refer to photo for placement. Apply a narrow bead of glue along scored line and tuck roving ends into opening using a needle or needle tool. Be sure to tuck some roving ends up under edge of hat on each side. Use fingertips to gently roll long beard to a soft point.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog