Folded Paper Pineapple Ornament
These textured ornaments are reminiscent of pineapples, and are a traditional favorite originally made from fabric. Our updated version is made with today's beautiful papers.
Completion Time -
Less than 1 hour
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Cardstock-weight decorative papers, 12" x 12",
- Straight pins
- Cut one 2" square and sixty-five 1" x 4" strips from patterned paper. Place paper strips printed side down on work surface. Refer to Diagrams 1 through 3 to fold strips in half and then into crisp points as shown.
- Glue paper square to center bottom of foam ball, clipping edges as needed so it lays flat. Mark center bottom of ball with pin.
- Refer to Diagram 4 to pin two points to bottom of ball on opposite sides, with tips just touching. Insert pins as indicated by dots on diagram; points will stick up a bit. Pins will be hidden by subsequent paper layers.
- Pin two more paper points over first two with edges just slightly overlapping and points just touching. First layer is complete.
- Refer to Diagrams 5 and 6 to add two more layers of paper points. Each row should be ½" from the last row.
- Continue pinning paper points to ball in alternating rows as you move toward top of ball, spacing each row ½" away from the previous row. Near mid-point of ball, edges of paper points will be slightly farther apart than at top and bottom. Be sure each layer covers pins in previous layer; adjust pins as needed. Final layer of paper points should cover top of ball completely.
- Knot together ends of ¼" ribbon, forming loop. Add dab of glue to top of ornament; place knot on glue and using skewer, push knot into foam ball. Let dry.
- Tie bow in ½" ribbon; trim ends. Glue and pin to top of ornament.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog