Here's a creative project for a scout troop, summer camp, or other group activity. Encourage kids to bring found objects from home to incorporate into their robot to make it "their own."
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Cube, 3"
- Balls, 2", two
- Balls, 1", two
- Ball, 2-1/2"
- Craft wire
- Wooden skewers
- Silver buttons, four
- Silver bead
- Acrylic craft paint: your color choice
- Thick white craft glue
- Embellishments of choice
- Using a serrated knife, have supervising adult cut in half the 2-1/2" and two 2" balls of STYROFOAM™ brand foam. Hint: Wax knife blade with old candle or bar of soap for easier cutting.
- Glue a 2½" half ball to the top of the cube. Save remaining half for future project.
- Cut wooden skewer into three, 3½" lengths using knippers.
- Insert each skewer into the rounded tops of the halves of 2" ball". Remove skewers, add glue to holes, and reinsert.
- On bottom of cube, mark three dots with a marker, creating a triangle. Insert other end of each skewer into marked points; remove skewers, add glue to holes, and reinsert. Stand robot on its feet and level the legs so the cube stands straight.
- Paint body and two, 1" balls; let dry thoroughly.
- Tightly wind 10" pieces of craft wire tightly around the handle of a broom or similar object, creating two spring arms. Push one end into side of cube, remove, add glue, and insert again. Repeat for second arm. Using low-temp glue, attach 1" balls to the other ends for hands.
- Tightly wind a 6" length of craft wire around a pencil to create antenna. Glue a bead onto one end and insert and glue other end into top of head.
- Press silver buttons onto the front of the robot, adding glue if needed.
- Add additional embellishments, if desired.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog