Yummy Ice Cream Cone Wall Art
Celebrate a birthday – or simply a love of ice cream – with this yummy wall art. Makes a perfect accent in kitchens or kids' rooms.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Ball, 3"
- Block, 18" x 12" x 1" OR Sheet, 36" x 12" x 1"
- Floral scrapbook paper, 12" x 12", two sheets
- Cardstock: light brown; two other coordinating colors
- Red artificial cherry
- Lightweight acrylic spackling
- Ultrafine white/iridescent glitter
- Gloss-finish decoupage medium
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measure and mark a 12" x 12" square on foam sheet; cut along lines. (Hint: Foam may also be "cut" with tightly held length of dental floss; stand foam on edge and firmly draw floss down through foam.) Cut foam ball in half; set aside one half for a future project.
- 2. Use putty knife to spread thin, even layer of paste onto front of foam square, or apply liquid glue. Center one sheet of floral paper on pasted foam; smooth paper with fingers or rubber brayer, working from center out to edges.
- 3. Cut four 1"x12" strips from second floral paper sheet and paste to edges of foam square; pin paper to foam until completely dry. Remove pins.
- 4. Cut a 6" square from one sheet of cardstock and a 6-1/2" square from second sheet. Layer and paste squares to center of floral square.
- 5. Cut a 6-1/2" square of light brown cardstock. Follow manufacturer's instructions to feed paper through crimper in one direction, then in opposite direction, to create a raised grid effect. Cut pattern as indicated; fold side tabs back.
- 6. Gently bend cone into shape and use glue gun to glue tabs to front of foam square. Tip of cone should rest at bottom of center cardstock square.
- 7. Slide foam half-ball cut in Step 1 into top of cardstock cone until snug. Glue to secure.
- 8. Use putty knife to scrape small chunk of spackling from container. Smooth spackling around foam half-ball; leave edges ragged where spackling overlaps ice cream cone. Use butter knife to add more "ice cream" over top and sides of ball. Smooth top of rounded shape to mimic look of scooped ice cream. Let dry completely.
- 9. Apply thin coat of decoupage medium over smooth top of ice cream; sprinkle with glitter. Glue artificial cherry to top of ice cream. Let dry completely.
- 10. Glue sawtooth hanger ends to top back corner of floral square. Dip nail tips into glue and push firmly into foam through hanger holes; let dry before hanging. Hook-and-loop tabs may also be used.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog