These cold-weather comrades know the nicest part of winter holidays is sharing favorite traditions with favorite friends. Share this fun project with your own favorite friends!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, two each: 3"; 2"
- Eggs, one each: 6"; 3-3/4"; 2-1/2"
- White synthetic fur, 1/4 yd.
- Felt: yellow, black scraps; plush, 5" square
- Fleece fabric, 45" wide: red, 1/6 yd.; blue, 1/8 yd.
- Blue pompom, 1"
- Black embroidery floss
- Black beads, two each: 12mm; 5mm
- Small heart-shaped button
- Artificial mini evergreen tree or garland length, 12"
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut small slicefrom narrow end of 6" foam egg (bear's body). Cut smallslice from one 3" foam ball (bear's head). Set aside 2-1/2" foamegg for penguin. Cut remaining foam shapes in half,cutting egg lengthwise. Cut small slice from narrow end of eachegg half (arms). With flat side of bear's head at bottom,glue one 2" half-ball to head for muzzle.
- 2. Cut patterns from felt and fur as indicated.Bear -
- 3. With nap running down, trace the following onto wrong side of fur:head, 8" circle; body, 5-1/2" x 12"; paws, two 4"circles; feet, two 5" circles; soles, two 2" circles. Cut out pieces,cutting through fur backing only. Lightly label wrongside of fur pieces with pencil.
- 4. Place egg halves (arms) flat side down on red fleece, then traceovals 1-1/2" beyond foam edge; cut out. In addition, cutthe following from red fleece: hat, 6" x 12"; sweater, 5" x 11".Cut two 2-1/2" x 6" cuffs from blue fleece.
- 5. Sew gathering stitch around 8" fur circle. Center head flat sideup on fur. Pull stitches tight; knot and clip thread.With narrow end of body pointing up, glue fur strip cut in Step 3around lower two-thirds of body. Glue excess fur tobottom of body.
- 6. Fold and glue 1/2" hem in one long edge of sweater fleece.Beginning at back of body with hemmed edge at bottom, gluesweater around upper half of body, overlapping fur. Roll topdown to form turtleneck; spot glue to secure.
- 7. To cover remaining foam shapes, center shapes rounded sidedown on corresponding fur or fleece pieces. Bring fur orfleece edges up to flat side of shape. Pin at four oppositepoints. Adjust excess between pins; glue to secure. Let dry.
- 8. Remove pins. Note: Do not glue soles to bottom of feetuntil after assembly.
- 9. Glue paws to narrow ends of arms. Fold and glue 3/4" hem inboth long edges of each cuff. In same way as sweater, gluecuffs around arms, overlapping fur.
- 10. With gathered "neck" at bottom, use scissors to pokeeyeholes. Glue larger beads into holes. Glue nose to muzzle as shown.
- 11. Thread embroidery needle with six strands floss and secureat bottom of head. Refer to diagram to stitch mouth. Insertneedle into bottom of head, coming out just below nose (1).Sew 3/4"-long vertical straight stitch, taking needle backthrough fur at 2. Bring needle up at 3, then down at 4,creating end of "smile." Bring needle back up at 5, then downat 6, creating 3/4"-long straight stitch. Repeat on oppositeside, bringing needle up at 7, down at 8, up at 9, and downthrough head at 10. Knot and clip thread at bottom of head.
- 12. Glue head to body. Glue right arm to body. Glue tree toleft side of body. Glue left shoulder to body and paw curvedinto body as shown. Glue feet to front of body so bear stands.
- 13. With right sides facing, overlap and glue short ends ofhat together, forming tube. Hand-gather one end of hattogether; tie with thread. Turn hat right side out. Fold uplower edge of hat 1/2", then 1". Glue hat to head. Glue earsand pompom to hat as shown. Glue button to sweater.
- 14. Be sure bear can stand upright. If bear falls over, usetablespoon to slightly hollow out bottom of feet. Glue penniesor other weighted material into bottom of feet, placingslightly more weight in right foot to offset penguin. Gluesoles to bottom of feet; let dry.Penguin -
- 15. With wrong sides facing, glue white and black wingstogether in pairs.
- 16. Glue felt front to front of 2-1/2" foam egg (penguin'sbody). With narrow end of egg at top, center back of egg onblack plush circle. Bring black edges around to front,overlapping white; pin to secure, adjusting fullness asneeded. Glue felt to foam; let dry. Remove pins. Glue feet tobottom of body.
- 17. Cut 1" x 12" scarf from blue fleece; fringe ends. Tiescarf around upper third of penguin. With white side towardbody and straight edge even with "shoulders," glue wings tobody just below scarf. Use "x" on wing pattern as attachment guide.
- 18. Use scissors to poke eyeholes. Glue remaining beads intoholes. Glue long edges of upper and lower beak piecestogether. Glue beak to face. Use red marker to draw "puffedup" cheek lines (a "c" or reverse "c") on each side of beak;use fingertip to blush cheeks.
- 19. Glue penguin to top of tree.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog