An utterly adaptable sort this cuddly penguin is nestled in for the night against his nice comfy snowball; he's sure to make winter visitors smile!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 2-1/2"; 1-1/2"
- Block, 12" x 10" x 1-1/4"
- Egg, 2-1/2"
- Textured snow paint
- Felt: yellow, 9" x 12" sheet; plush, 5" x 10"
- piece each: white, black
- Red fleece fabric, 6" square
- Plaid cotton fabric, 6" square
- Blue pompom, 1"
- Black embroidery floss
- White confetti snowflake, one
- Iridescent glitter
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 8"square from foam block. Cut jagged pieces from square tocreate roughly 6"-square iceberg. Glue larger foam ball to oneside of block. Cut small slice from remaining foam ball(head). Cut small lengthwise slice from foam egg (body).
- 2. Following manufacturer's instructions, apply snow paint tosnowball and iceberg. While still wet, sprinkle paint withglitter; let dry.
- 3. Cut patterns from felt and fleece as indicated. Cut one 4"circle from white plush and one from black plush; cut blackcircle in half (wings).
- 4. Place body flat side-down on black plush felt, then traceoval 1-1/2" beyond foam edge; cut out.
- 5. To cover foam shapes, center shapes rounded side down oncorresponding plush felt pieces. Bring felt edges up to flatside of foam. Pin at four opposite points. Adjust excessbetween pins; glue to secure. Let dry. Note: Alternate methodis to sew gathering stitch around felt shape; pull stitchestight around foam shape, then knot and clip thread. Glue plushfelt front to front of penguin's body, overlapping blackedges; let dry.
- 6. Thread embroidery needle with two strands floss and secureat bottom of head. Bring needle through ball to front of face.Sew two small straight stitches for eyes, 1/2" apart, incenter of face. Take needle back through bottom of head; knotand clip thread.
- 7. Glue long edges of upper and lower beak pieces together.Glue beak to center of face directly under eyes. Use fingertipto blush cheeks, if desired.
- 8. Place hat right side up on work surface. Apply line of gluealong straight edge of hat; sprinkle with glitter and let dry.In same way, dot pompom with glue and glitter; let dry. Withwrong sides facing, glue curved edges of hat together. Gluepompom to hat tip. Glue hat to head. Glue snowflake to hat front.
- 9. Fold each wing in half, wrong sides facing. Glue foldedcorner of wings to shoulders, straight edge up. Glue feet andhead to body. Glue penguin to snowball at slight upward angle.
- 10. Pull threads from edges of plaid-square to create fringe.Use white glue to draw simple crisscross snowflakes on fabric;sprinkle with glitter and let dry. Glue blanket between wingsas shown. Lightly sprinkle penguin with glitter.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog