It looks like the 'bunny slope' for these bundled-up sledding buddies. It's easy to transform simple foam shapes into this one-of-a-kind winter decoration.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 3", one; 2", one; 1-1/2", three
- Cone, 6" x 3"
- Eggs: 6", one; 3", two; 2", two
- White synthetic fur, 1/4 yd.
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets, one each: peach; green; pink scrap
- Fleece fabric, 45" wide: purple, 1/5 yd.;
- pink/purple print, 1/8 yd.
- White cord, 1/2 yd.
- Pink pompoms, 3mm, two
- White chenille stems, two
- Black beads: 8mm, two; 6mm, four
- Buttons, 3/4", two
- White confetti snowflakes, eight
- Wire, 26-gauge, 2" length
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut foameggs in half lengthwise. Cut 1-1/2" and one 3" foam ball inhalf. Slice one-third from top of 6" foam ball; save bothpieces. Press one side of remaining 3" foam ball against tableto flatten slightly.
- 2. Cut patterns from felt and fur as indicated.
- 3. With nap running down, trace following "Mama" pieces ontowrong side of fur: head, 4" x 10"; body, 4" x 12-1/2"; tail,4-1/2" circle; paws, two 3" circles. Cut out pieces, cuttingthrough fur backing only. Cut two 4" x 6" pieces from fur(baby bodies). Lightly label wrong side of fur pieces with pencil.
- 4. Place feet flat side down on wrong side of fur, then traceovals 1-1/2" beyond foam edge; cut out. Cut out second set ofovals same size as feet (soles).
- 5. Place arms flat side down on purple fleece; trace and cutout in same way as feet, omitting second set. In addition, cutfollowing from purple fleece: hat, 5" x 10-1/2"; sweater, 7" x11"; cuffs, two 2-1/2" x 4-1/2"; baby's earmuffs, two 1-1/2"circles; baby's scarf, 1-1/2" x 10". Cut following from printfleece for remaining baby: scarf, 1-1/2" x 10"; hat, 2" x 6".
- 6. Glue fur strip cut in Step 3 around head. Finger-gather andglue excess fur to opposite ends of head, smoothing as needed.In same way, with narrow end of body pointing up, glue furaround lower two-thirds of body. Glue excess fur to bottom of body.
- 7. Fold and glue 1/2" hem in bottom long edge of sweaterfleece; glue 2" hem in top edge. Beginning at back of body,glue sweater around upper half of body, overlapping fur. Rolltop down to form turtleneck; spot glue to secure.
- 8. To cover remaining "Mama" foam shapes, center shapesrounded side down on corresponding fur or fleece pieces. Bringfur or fleece edges up to flat side of shape. Pin at fouropposite points. Adjust excess between pins; glue to secure. Let dry.
- 9. Remove pins. Glue soles to bottoms of feet; let dry.
- 10. Glue paws to narrow ends of arms, aligning gathered sideof paws with flat side of arms. Fold and glue 3/4" hem in bothlong edges of each cuff. In same way as sweater, glue cuffsaround arms, overlapping fur.
- 11. With gathered edge at back of head, use scissors to pokeeyeholes into Mama's head. Glue larger beads into holes. Glue nose to face.
- 12. Using doubled thread, take needle through face from onecheek to the other, leaving 4" thread length on each side.Clip thread. Repeat. Spot glue "whiskers" to secure.
- 13. Gently bend each chenille stem in half; twist endstogether. Place chenille stems on wrong sides of two "Mama"ears; 1/2" chenille stem length should extend beyond bottom ofears. Glue second set of ears to first, sandwiching chenillestems between. Use scissors to poke small holes in top ofhead. Glue stem ends into holes; spot glue ears to secure.Hold ears in place until dry.
- 14. Glue "Mama" head and arms to body as shown. Glue feet tofront and tail to back of body; bunny should stand up.
- 15. Fold and glue 1-1/2" hem in both long edges of "Mama" hat.Beginning at back of head, glue hat around head. Gluesnowflake confetti to sweater front and hat.
- 16. For babies, glue remaining foam balls to top of small eggs(bodies). Beginning at back of body, glue fur pieces cut inStep 3 around babies. Glue excess fur to opposite ends ofbody, gathering and smoothing as needed.
- 17. Cut fringe into scarf ends. Tie scarves around necks,pulling tightly. Insert eyes in same way as larger bunny. Gluepompom noses and ears to heads.
- 18. Cover buttons with 1-1/2" purple fleece circles; glue tosecure. Bend wire length into curve; glue to one bunny's head;glue earmuffs over wire ends. For second bunny, fold and glue1/2" hem in each long edge of hat strip; glue hat around headin same way as larger bunny.
- 19. For carrot sled, place foam cone on peach felt at anangle. Roll felt around cone, cutting excess felt on longside. Trim felt at cone tip and base, leaving enough felt tocover ends. Finger-gather felt at each end and glue to foam.
- 20. Cut two 4" x 12" strips from green felt; cut 3" fringealong one long edge of each piece. Loosely roll green stripstogether; glue ends to secure. Glue green felt to top of carrot.
- 21. Knot cord ends; glue ends to opposite sides of sled. Gluebaby bunnies to one flat side of sled. Glue cord into larger bunny's paw.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog