Punched Flag Wallhanging
Indoors or out 16' round American Flag shows your red white and blue spirit.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- 44 / 45" solid cotton fabric:
- 1- 1/2 yd. blue
- 1- 1 1/4yd. red, 1- 3/4 yd. white
- 3- yds. 7/8" red, white and blue ribbon
- Thick white craft glue
- 1- 3/4" white curtain ring
- 3/4" sequin pins
- 3- 6mm gold beads
- Scotch tape
- 1. Enlarge pattern to 16" diameter circle.
- 2. Cut out pattern and pin to disk of STYROFOAM™.
- 3. Pressing hard, trace over design lines with ballpoint pen.Remove pattern
- 4. Trace over scored lines with fine point marker.
- 5. Place disk on one corner of red fabric; trace around discwith pencil or ballpoint pen. Cut out circle, adding 1/2" seamallowance. Set aside.
- 6. Cut remaining fabrics into 1 1/2" squares. Stack by color.
- 7. General punching directions:a. Spread glue over small area of STYROFOAM™.b. Place point of nail file in center of fabric square andpunch straight into STYROFOAM™, about 1/4" deep. Around edgesof disc, punch fabric on an angle toward center.c. Punch in about 3 squares per inch in rows about 3/8" apart.Fill gaps with extra squares.
- 8. To start, punch 13 white squares for stars (see photo).Fill remaining area with blue squares.
- 9. Alternate punching red and white fabric for stripes (usered first).
- 10. Pin center of red fabric circle to back. Clip 1/2" seamallowance and glue to edge of disc.
- 11. Adding the hanger:a. Glue ribbon around edge of disc, starting at 3:00 position.Overlap ends slightly.b. Cut 18" length of ribbon, tie bow, trim tails as desired.c. Stitch bow to center of remaining ribbon. Stitch curtainring behind bow.d. Place bow at top and glue ends of ribbon to edge of disc,leaving a 3" tail on each side.e. Put sequin pins through beads and dip ends in glue. Pushthrough ribbon where it is glued to edge of disk.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog