Note: An adult should complete Step 1 for children making this craft.
- 1. Using pattern, trace skull onto foam sheet with black marker. Cut out foam with craft knife. Insert skewer into 1/2" edge of skull at center bottom, pushing until end is just below nasal cavity.
- 2. Apply two generous coats of glow-in-the-dark paint or varnish to the entire foam skull, including edges. Let dry after each coat.
- 3. Tie black ribbon in a bow around skewer at base of skull. Trim ribbon as necessary. Tie orange curling ribbon around center of black bow and curl ends with a scissors blade.
- 4. Add your choice of the following optional spooky features:
- 5. Paint a ragged crack in top of skull with black acrylic paint.
- 6. Glue artificial worms or bugs randomly to skull.
- 7. Make a hanging eyeball by rolling a 1" foam ball on a hard surface to compact it. Paint a black cornea and iris on ball and let dry. Dilute red paint with water to an inky consistency and paint broken blood vessels on foam eye. Push and glue one end of a short string into center back of eye and then paint string red. Glue opposite end of string in back of skull, letting eyeball hang below socket on front.
- 8. Place party favor in direct light for several minutes to activate glow-in-the-dark effect. Note: Since this may vary depending on brand of paint or varnish used, refer to manufacturer's instructions for details.