Feather & Mushroom Cone
Add unexpected drama to your decor using natural materials like feathers twigs and lush moss. A simple foam cone forms the base of this stunning piece.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Dried naturals: mushrooms w/stems, six;
- green or natural okra, five;
- poppy pods, five
- Pheasant feathers, ten
- Green reindeer moss, one bag each: light; dark
- Lichen moss, one small bag
- Twigs, 8" long, seven
- Fine-gauge floral wire
- Floral pins, two
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cutnarrow slice from one side of cone so it will rest flatagainst wall when hung. Begin at cone base and continuecutting 10" to 12" toward cone tip.
- 2. Use glue gun or craft glue to cover entire cone withreindeer moss. Let dry.
- 3. With flat back of cone on work surface, glue and insertthree pieces of dried mushroom into cone base. Position centermushroom slightly higher than side mushrooms; insert sidemushrooms at angle to form fan shape.
- 4. Glue and insert pheasant feathers in front of mushroompieces, forming fan shape.
- 5. Glue and insert okra into cone base in front of feathers,allowing pieces to form horizontal "S" shape from left toright. Glue and insert poppy pods into spaces between okra.
- 6. Glue and insert remaining mushroom pieces into front ofcone, pushing firmly to hide stems. Insert two piecesside-by-side below okra and poppy pods, hiding stems. Insertthird mushroom piece below first two.
- 7. Glue and randomly insert twigs into both sides of cone asshown, allowing some to extend beyond tip of cone if desired.Glue small pieces of lichen moss to cone front.
- 8. For hanger, cut 10" length from wire. Fold wire in half andtwist ends together to secure. Insert wire ends into top backof cone. Secure each wire end to cone with floral pin. Gluesmall pieces of reindeer moss to any exposed pins or stems.Let cone dry completely before hanging.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog