Around-The-World Map Ornament
Commemorate a special place or simply add a touch of wanderlust to holiday decorating with travel-inspired ornaments. Use on-hand materials to minimize cost.
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Old map or color photocopy
- Decoupage medium
- White/iridescent glitter
- Travel-themed charms, four
- Light blue double-sided satin ribbon: 1/4" x 2/3 yd.; 3/8" x 1/2 yd.
- 1. Cut map into 1-1/2" squares. Insert wooden skewer intobottom of foam ball to use as handle.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply decoupagemedium to small area of ball and to back of one paper square.Smooth paper onto ball; if paper won't lay flat, cut tinyslits into paper edges along major roads or river lines andpress to ball. Cover entire ball in same way, overlappingpaper edges and matching major roads and bodies of water ifpossible. Place skewer in heavy glass or jar to dry.
- 3. Apply generous coat of decoupage medium to entire ball;while wet, sprinkle with glitter. Let dry. Remove skewer.
- 4. Cut 8" length from 3/8"-wide ribbon; knot ends for hangingloop. Use skewer tip to make small hole in center top ofornament. Apply glue to ribbon knot and use skewer to pushknot into hole. Tie remaining 3/8"-wide ribbon into bow andglue to base of hanger.
- 5. Cut four 5" lengths from 1/4"-wide ribbon and tie a charmto one end of each length. Place dot of glue into hole atbottom of ornament and use skewer to push ribbon ends into hole.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Bottle Cap Christmas TagChristmas Carol OrnamentOld World Globes in Bowl
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog