Snowy Felt 'n Foam House
Mini houses are a popular collectibles and make for an ultra-welcoming display at Christmas time. This sweet model is built from felt-covered foam making it affordable and easy too.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 1-1/2"; 1"
- Disc, 9" x 1-1/4"
- Sheets: 36" x 12" x 1"; 36" x 12" x 1/2"
- Paint: textured snow; white, black fine-tip
- dimensional; orange acrylic
- Felt: 36"cream, 1 yd.; black scrap
- Red/black gingham fabric scrap
- Natural needled cotton quilt batting, 1/4 yd.
- Miniatures: bottle brush trees, 4", two;
- bottle brush wreath, 1"; wire candy canes,
- 2", six
- Glitter: ultra-fine iridescent; cut crystal
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cutpatterns from 1"-thick foam sheet. In addition, cut followingpieces from 1"-thick foam sheet: two 5" squares (front/back ofhouse); two 5" x 8" (roof panels); 1-1/4" x 2-1/4" (chimney).
- 2. Glue house sides, front and back together, forming a box.Apply glue to toothpick ends and push through foam corners toreinforce joints.
- 3. Glue roof panels together and glue to top of house; securewith toothpicks. Refer to photo to glue chimney to roof;secure with toothpicks.
- 4. Cut a 1/2"-tall, 1/2"-diameter cylinder from 1/2"-thickfoam sheet for chimney spout. Glue spout to chimney.
- 5. Cut out pattern as indicated. In addition, cut thefollowing pieces from cream felt: two 5" x 7" (front/back ofhouse); two 5" x 8" (roof panels); and the path to the frontdoor. Trace foam disc twice onto cream felt; cut out and glue discs totop and bottom of foam disc. Glue remaining felt pieces to correspondingfoam pieces (do not glue down walkway until Step 6).
- 6. Cut four 1/2" x 5" strips from batting; glue strips toshort sides of roof. Cut four 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" windows, one 1"round window, and one 1-1/2" x 2" door from batting; refer tophoto to glue windows and door to house. Glue walkway to disc as shown.
- 7. Use scallop-edge scissors to cut four more 1/2" x 5" stripsfrom batting; glue to house corners where sections meet. Cuttwo 1/2" x 7-1/2" strips from batting; glue strips to long sides of roof.
- 8. Refer to photo and use spatula to apply snow paint tohouse, paying special attention to where snow would naturally accumulate.
- 9. Use black paint to draw window panes. Use white paint tooutline windows, walkway, and to add random icicle-like dripsin various areas. Paint tip of one toothpick orange; let dry.
- 10. Glue foam balls together; secure with toothpick throughcenter. Apply thin layer of snow paint to entire snowman;carefully glue snowman to disc. Glue bottle brush trees andwreath to disc and door. Push candy canes into disc along walkway.
- 11. Cut following pieces from black felt for hat: 1" x 4"strip; 1/4" circle; 3/4" circle. Roll strip into cylinder andglue seam to make crown. Glue small circle to top of hat andlarger circle to bottom for brim. Glue hat to snowman's head.Tear a 1/4" x 6" strip from gingham fabric; tie scarf around neck.
- 12. Use black paint to dot snowman with eyes, mouth andbuttons. Cut tip from painted toothpick; insert carrot nose into face.
- 13. Cut a 1" x 32-1/2" strip from cream felt; glue around edgeof disc. While paint is still wet, sprinkle entire house withboth kinds of glitter.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Glittering Snow VillageArctic Snow HouseGingerbread Village
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog