Pumpkin Berry Centerpiece
Celebrate autumn in all its glory with a quick d.i.y. topiary draped in berries and colorful leaves. Handmade paper covering pumpkins lends authentic texture.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 6"; 5"; 4"
- Cone, 12" x 4"
- Brown acrylic paint
- Orange art paper(s) such as hanji mulberry, or tissue paper
- Silk florals: angel vine; berry picks; fall leaves pick
- Floral wire
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslices from two opposite sides of each foam ball so they restflat. Use marker to indicate center top and bottom of each ball.
- 2. Wrap each ball with three rubber bands, dividing it intosix equal vertical segments from center top to center bottom.Use marker to indicate segment lines; remove rubber bands.
- 3. Use serrated knife to cut a 1/2"-deep, V-shaped groovealong each segment line. Smooth grooves with back of metalspoon. Use skewer to press groove down center of each pumpkin segment.
- 4. Cut 1-1/2" length from one skewer for stem. Paint stem brown; let dry.
- 5. Cut segment patterns from paper. Snip paper edges every1/2" to help paper conform to rounded foam surfaces.
- 6. Insert a skewer into bottom of each pumpkin to use as handle.
- 7. Working one section at a time, apply generous coat of whiteglue to foam and to back of corresponding paper piece. Centerand adhere paper to pumpkin, smoothing with fingertips.
- 8. Carefully brush more glue over top of paper, gentlyremoving wrinkles and air bubbles. Paper should overlapgrooves. Continue until all pumpkins are covered. Placeskewers in heavy glass or jar to dry.
- 9. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply one or morecoats of matte medium to pumpkins. Let dry.
- 10. Hot glue pumpkins into balanced stack. Glue stem into topof smallest pumpkin at a slight angle.
- 11. Gently pull vine apart into long strips. Overlap twosections about 4" and rub joint firmly together to make one long strip.
- 12. Use wire cutters to cut several 2" lengths from floralwire; bend wires into U-shapes. Use wires to attach vinearound pumpkin stack.
- 13. Insert berry picks into pumpkins through angel vine.Insert leaf pick at base as shown.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Bewitching Witch Hat Wall HangingCrackle PumpkinsHarvest Pumpkins
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog