Arctic Snow House
Holiday decorating doesn't get any frostier than this -- even the trees are white! Update a traditional theme with a monochromatic scheme full of icy sparkle.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: two 1-1/2"; one 2"
- Block, 4" x 4" x 18"
- Disc, 6" x 1"
- Acrylic paints: white; light ivory; light tan; dark tan;
- black; dark orange
- Joint compound or pre-mixed acrylic spackle
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheet each: black; cream
- Bottle-brush greenery, one each: 4" tree; 1" wreath
- Iridescent glitter: regular; ultra-fine
- Black heavyweight card stock
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measureand cut one 2" x 4" x 6" house and one 1" x 1-3/4" x 2"chimney from one end of foam block. Note: Set aside 12" end ofblock for a future project. Cut 3/8" x 1-3/8" x 2-1/2" door,small step and front "stoop" from remaining foam.
- 2. Mark center of one narrow end of house; mark sides 3" fromtop. Connect points to trim top of house as shown. Cut bottomof chimney at 45Â° angle.
- 3. Use craft-foam glue to adhere house to disc, 1" from backedge. Glue door, stoop and step to house as shown; let dry.
- 4. Trace disc onto cream felt. Cut out circle and set aside.
- 5. Using palette knife, apply thin, even layer of jointcompound to entire house, chimney and top and sides of disc.Let dry completely.
- 6. Using fingers, tightly squeeze one 1-1/2" foam ball toreduce size slightly. Repeat with 2" ball. Glue remaining ballbetween first two, forming snowman.
- 7. Paint snowman, disc, stoop and step white; let dry completely.
- 8. Paint house and chimney light ivory. Refer to photo topaint light tan windows. Use liner brush to paint dark tan"panes" in windows and on door as shown.
- 9. Cut 3" x 8" roof from black card stock. Fold in half tomeasure 3" x 4". Glue roof to house and chimney to roof; let dry.
- 10. Use toothpick or paintbrush handle to paint black dots foreyes, buttons and mouth as shown. Paint tip of one toothpickorange. Cut tip and glue into face for "carrot" nose. Pushtwig arms into snowman's body. Use fingertip to blushsnowman's cheeks, if desired.
- 11. Cut a 1" x 3" rectangle from black felt. Roll felt into"log" and glue to secure. Cut one 1/2" and one 3/4" circlefrom black felt. Glue smaller circle to top of hat and largerone to bottom for brim. Glue hat to snowman's head. Cut a 1/2"x 5" scarf from cream felt. Tie scarf around neck.
- 12. Dip bottle-brush tree and wreath into bleach to removecolor. Rinse and let dry. Refer to photo to glue tree to disc.Place wreath on snowman's arm.
- 13. Apply more joint compound to project, placing some on roofand letting it drip in spots. Apply compound to snowman, too.Let dry completely.
- 14. Hold glue gun above house; let glue drip onto roof andchimney, forming icicles.
- 15. Spray entire project with fabric-stiffening spray. Whilestill wet, sprinkle project with glitters.
- 16. Glue felt circle to bottom of disc.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Winter Wonderland HouseSupersized SnowmanSledding Snowbuddies
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog