Winter Wonderland House
Looks like this cozy little home houses the best snowman builders ever! Capture this cheery scene for your holiday décor with STYROFOAM™* Brand foam.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 2-1/2"; 2"; 1"
- Block, 4" x 4" x 18"
- Disc, 10" x 1"
- Acrylic paints: white; dark red; black; brown
- Textured snow paint
- Joint compound or pre-mixed acrylic spackle
- Black felt: 36" or 72", 1/3 yd.; purchased hat, 2"
- Miniature picket fence, 1-1/2" tall
- Bottle-brush greenery: one 3" and two 4" trees; one 1" wreath
- Allspice balls, three
- Iridescent glitter: regular; ultra-fine
- Card stock scrap, any color
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measureand cut one 2" x 4" x 8" house and one 1" x 1" x 2" chimneyfrom one end of foam block. Note: Set aside 10" end of blockfor a future project.
- 2. Mark center of one narrow end of house; mark sides 3-1/2"from top. Connect points to trim top of house as shown. Cutbottom of chimney at 45Â° angle.
- 3. Cut remainder of foam block into1/2"-thick mini sheets.From 1/2" sheets, cut following pieces: two 3" x 5" roofsections; two 1" x 1-3/4" upper and two 1" x 1-1/2" lowerwindows; one 1-1/4" x 2-1/2" front door.
- 4. Paint foam disc white; let dry completely. Trace disc ontoblack felt. Cut out circle and set aside.
- 5. Following manufacturer's instructions, place small amountof joint compound on top of disc, 3" from one edge. Placehouse on top of joint compound to secure. Use craft-foam glueto adhere roof sections to house and chimney to roof. Let dry.
- 6. Using palette knife, apply thin, even layer of jointcompound to entire house, including chimney. Use compound toadhere windows and door to house front. Let dry completely.
- 7. Paint as follows: house red; windows, roof, and door black;chimney brown. Use liner brush to paint white "panes" inwindows and on door as shown.
- 8. To make snowman, use toothpicks to attach foam ballstogether, smallest to largest. Spot glue areas between ballsto secure; let dry.
- 9. Paint snowman white; let dry. Use toothpick or paintbrushhandle to paint black dots for eyes and mouth as shown. Painttip of one toothpick brown. Cut tip and glue into face for"carrot" nose. Push twig arms into snowman's body. Glueallspice balls to body for buttons. Use fingertip to blushsnowman's cheeks, if desired.
- 10. Cut a 1/2" x 7" scarf from black felt. Tie scarf aroundneck. Glue hat to head.
- 11. Paint 3" x 5" scrap of card stock brown; let dry. Cut a 2"x 5" curved "path" from painted card stock. Use marker tooutline "cobblestones" in path. Glue path to disc in front of door.
- 12. Apply more joint compound to top of disc, allowing some"snow drifts" to form. While compound is still wet, refer tophoto to place trees, fence and snowman.
- 13. Use palette knife to apply snow paint to disc, roof,windows, fence, trees, and snowman's hat as desired. Let drycompletely. Glue wreath to front door.
- 14. Spray entire project with fabric-stiffening spray. Whilestill wet, sprinkle project with glitters.
- 15. Glue felt circle to bottom of disc.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Arctic Snow HouseCheery Snowman Topiaries
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog