Glittering Snow Village
Frosty has come to town and oh what a cozy little town it is. Country colors and realistic snowy details make this a place you won't forget.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 2"; 1-1/2"; 1"
- Cones, 6" x 3", two
- Cubes, 5", two
- Acrylic paints: brown; dark red; blue; orange;
- black; white; dark green; beige
- Glitter brush-on snow paint
- Gel stain medium
- Gloss-finish spray varnish
- Artist's gesso
- Instant papier-mâché mix
- Black beads, 5mm, two
- Mini bottle-brush wreath, 1" diameter
- Two small twigs
- Iridescent glitter: ultra fine; crystal
- Fine white sand
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut three2"-thick slices from foam blocks. Cut patterns from foamslices as indicated. Cut foam cone trees to measure 3" and 5" tall.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's instructions to mix entire package ofinstant papier-mâché in disposable bowl. Add small amount ofglitter and half as much sand to mixture to achieve snowytexture. Continue adding small amounts glitter and sand insame 2:1 ratio until pleased with results.
- 3. Use spoon and fingertips to cover each house with a thin,even layer of papier-mâché. Refer to photo to adddimensional windows, doors and chimneys. Allow each roof toextend slightly from house by gently pinching papier-mâchéwith fingers; note porch roofs on two larger houses. Covertrees in same way. Let dry two to three days; speed drying insun or with hair dryer, if desired.
- 4. Using toothpicks, attach foam balls together, smallest tolargest, to make snowman. In same way as houses, cover snowmanwith papier-mâché and let dry.
- 5. Paint houses and snowman with artist's gesso. Let dry.Using flat brush, refer to photo to paint houses as follows:dark red, blue or beige body; white round window on beigehouse; black roofs and remaining windows; beige chimneys;black or dark red door as shown. Use liner brush and white toadd details, including windowpanes and doorknobs. Use linerbrush and black to add windowpanes to round window. Let dry.
- 6. Paint snowman white and trees green; let dry. Use pencilpoint to paint black dots for snowman eyes and mouth. Paintone end of toothpick orange. Cut 3/4" from end of toothpickand glue cut end into head for nose. Glue bead buttons tofront of snowman. Glue and insert twigs for arms.
- 7. Mix one part burnt umber to three parts gel stain medium.Use dry paper towel to apply mixture to houses only; wipe awayexcess with clean paper towel. Let dry completely. Applytextured snow paint to roofline, windows and chimney as desired.
- 8. Spray houses, trees and snowman with varnish. While wet,sprinkle with glitters; let dry. Glue wreath to front door of beige house.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Arctic Snow HouseGingerbread HouseSmiling Snowman Candleholder
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog