Peppermint Ski Snowman
Hit the slopes with striped skis peppermint poles and a cheery little partner. All dressed up in red and white this dapper dasher will join your favorites!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 2-1/2"; 1-1/2"
- Egg, 6"
- Fleece: white, 1/6 yd.; red, 1/4 yd.
- Red/white checked fabric, 2-1/2" x 45"
- Fiberfill stuffing, or four cotton balls
- Red embroidery floss
- White pom pom, 2"
- White buttons, 1/2", two
- Black beads, 8mm, two
- Cosmetic blush
- Wrapped candy canes, 8" long, four
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslices from opposite ends of foam egg and one side of largerfoam ball. Cut smaller foam ball in half.
- 2. Clean stray bits of foam from work surface before cuttingfabrics. Cut the following pieces from white fleece: 6" x 12"body; 5" circle for head; two 3" circles for hands.
- 3. Fold red fleece in half widthwise; fold in half againlengthwise. Place sweater pattern on folded fleece, aligning"center" with double-folded edge; cut out. In addition, cutnose pattern and 8" x 11" rectangle from red fleece. Foldrectangle in half and refer to diagram to cut out hat.
- 4. Center rounded side of larger foam ball on wrong side of5" white fleece circle. Gather fleece evenly up over flat sideof head, pulling tight; glue fleece to foam to secure. Trimexcess fabric.
- 5. Choose smoothest side of ball for face. Refer to photo tocreate face. Use scissors point to make two holes for eyes infoam, 3/8" apart. Glue beads in place, pushing firmly intoholes. Glue nose to face. Use fingertip to apply blush to cheeks.
- 6. Use three strands red floss to stitch 2" smile. Bringembroidery needle from back of head, through foam ball, toface. Stitch mouth through fleece only. To finish, take flossback through foam ball to back of head; knot and clip thread.
- 7. Evenly wrap 6" x 12" white fleece rectangle cut in Step 2around foam egg body, overlapping fleece edges at back; gluefleece edges to secure. Gather fleece evenly under flat baseof egg, pulling tight; glue fleece to foam to secure. Trimexcess fabric.
- 8. For hands, place each foam half-ball rounded side down incenter of 3" white fleece circle. Apply line of glue aroundedges of fleece. Glue fleece to flat sides of hands.
- 9. Place sweater on work surface, right sides together andunderarms aligned. Glue underarm seams; let dry. Clip cornersand turn sweater right side out. Repeat for hat.
- 10. Place check fabric right side down on ironing board. Foldeach long edge in 3/4" and press, creating 1" x 45" strip.
- 11. Apply glue to neck end of body. Place sweater over top ofbody and then glue flat side of head to neck. Stuff sleeveslightly with fiberfill or cotton balls. Glue hands intobottoms of sleeves with flat sides toward body; do not gluehands to body. Glue hat on head and pom pom to tip. Let dry.
- 12. Wrap check trim around edge of hat, neck, sweater bottomand sleeves, cutting trim lengths as needed. Glue trim inplace, overlapping at back.
- 13. Sew red floss "X" through buttons; glue buttons to sweater.
- 14. Cut curved ends from two candy canes; glue poles to handsas shown. Glue hands to body. Glue remaining candy canes tobottom of body for skis.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Supersized SnowmanPlayful Snowman TotemSkiing Penguin
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog