Green Apple Topiary
An apple a day might keep you-know-who away but this luscious bunch is here forever. Apply stucco paint to foam shapes to create the dramatic container.
Completion Time -
Diane D. Flowers
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: one 4"; four 1-1/2"
- Block, 12" x 10" x 1"
- Cube, 5"
- Acrylic paints: dark brown; off-white
- Natural stucco-finish paint
- Brown antiquing medium
- Artificial fruit: 2" lt. green apples, nine; 3" green apples, seven;
- 1-1/2" green pears, 29
- Bright green reindeer moss, one small bag
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measureand mark a 6-1/4" square on foam block for base; cut out.
- 2. Push one 4" skewer completely through one 1-1/2" foam ball,centering ball on skewer; glue to secure. Repeat withremaining 1-1/2" balls. Apply glue to one end of each skewerand insert into bottom corners of foam cube; foam balls shouldtouch corners but extend slightly beyond as shown. Spot glueto secure; let dry.
- 3. Apply glue to opposite ends of skewers and insert into6-1/4" foam base, with cube centered on square. Push skewersthrough base until balls touch it; trim excess length atbottom of base. Spot glue balls to base to secure; let dry.
- 4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to prepare stucco paint,stirring with craft stick before use. If desired, put ondisposable gloves. Use palette knife to cover all exposed foamsurfaces; let dry for at least 12 hours.
- 5. Apply light coat of off-white over stucco; let dry. Mixequal parts antiquing medium and dark brown acrylic indisposable bowl; apply light coat of this mixture over stucco.Use dry paper towel to remove excess paint while still wet.
- 6. Glue 4" foam ball to center top of cube. Apply glue to 7"skewer and insert through center top of ball into cube. Spotglue top end of skewer to secure. Use glue gun to cover foamball with small clumps of moss.Topiary Arrangement
- 1. Apply glue to one end of each 4" skewer and insert intoeach piece of fruit, alternating placement of skewers for morenatural look.
- 2. Refer to photo to insert largest apples into foam ball,trimming skewers as needed. Repeat with smaller apples. Fillgaps with pears. Reposition fruits as desired to createbalanced design.
- 3. When pleased with arrangement, remove fruit one by oneand apply glue to skewer ends before re-inserting into foam.Fill gaps with small clumps of moss.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Bountiful Harvest TopiaryBlueberries & Lemons Centerpiece
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog