Disc Wall Art
Add a spot of color to your décor - or nine of them! Various foam discs painted favorite acrylic shades combine to create easy eye-pleasing custom artwork.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Discs, 1" thick: 16", one; 12", two; 10", one; 6", five
- Acrylic paints: brown; purple; olive green
- Pre-mixed stucco medium, 16 oz.; or lightweight spackling compound
- 1. Mix 3/4 c. stucco medium with 1 T. brown paint in smallbowl; add paint a bit at a time until pleased with color.Cover bowl with damp paper towel. Repeat twice more to createpurple stucco and light olive green stucco in separate bowls.Note: Paint colors can change as they dry; test colors on scrap foam.
- 2. Using firm paintbrush and photo as guide, spread thin, evencoat of stucco onto appropriate foam disc, covering top andsides only. Create one disc at a time to prevent uneven drying.
- 3. Use putty knife to smooth surface of stucco. Dip paintbrushin clean water to lightly smooth disc edges where excessstucco tends to accumulate.
- 4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 to cover all discs with appropriatecolors; let dry completely. When dry, sand any imperfections.If needed, apply second light coat of stucco; let dry.
- 5. Referring to photo and diagram, use glue gun to assemblediscs; let dry. Place sculpture face down, apply hot glue totoothpick ends, and push 1-1/2" deep through joined discs inseveral places to secure. Use craft snips to trim visible toothpick ends.
- 6. Glue sawtooth hanger to top center back of largest disc;dip nail ends into glue and insert into foam. Let dry completely before hanging.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Disc Grid Wall ArtChunky CandleholdersGreen & Black Gator Cubes
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog