Half-Ball Wall Art
Texture dimension and cool blue color combine to create a high-art sculpture perfect for that bare wall you haven't yet filled. Easy technique and affordable too!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: three 3"; four 2-1/2"; seven 2"; two 1"
- Sheet, 36" x 12" x 1
- Acrylic craft paint: colonial blue
- Pre-mixed ceramic stucco texture gel, 4 oz. jar; or,
- lightweight spackling
- Fine-gauge craft wire
- 1. Empty entire jar of texture gel into bowl, or measure outC. lightweight spackling; add paint a bit at a time untilpleased with color. Cover bowl with damp paper towel.
- 2. Using putty knife, spread thin, even coat of texture gelonto edges of foam sheet. Cover top of sheet in same way. Letdry completely.
- 3. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut allfoam balls in half; set aside one 2-1/2" half-ball for futureuse. Gently roll half-ball edges on work surface to smooth.
- 4. Insert skewers into flat sides of half-balls. Holdingskewer, use flat brush to spread thin, even coat of texturegel onto rounded side of each half-ball. Place skewers inglass or jar to dry.
- 5. Refer to photo to glue half-balls to foam sheet.
- 6. Use flat brush to spread thin, even coat of texture gelaround base of each half-ball where it meets foam sheet;smooth joints well. Note: Dip tip of brush into clean wateroccasionally to keep wet texture gel from clumping on drysurface. Let dry completely.
- 7. Cut two 3" lengths from wire; twist ends together to formhanging loops. Glue wire ends into top back edge of foam sheet.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Disc Grid Wall ArtGreen Polka Dot Wall ArtEtched Leaf Lamps
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog