Paper Cube Snowman
Dash through the snow - or the craft aisle - to find clever cubes of STYROFOAM™ Brand foam and embossed paper for this very square fellow. Makes a great quick gift!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Block, 18" x 4" x 4"
- Cubes: 5"; 3"
- Orange acrylic paint
- White embossed scrapbooking paper, three 12" x 12" sheets
- Coordinating decorative papers: stripe; polka dot; pink solid;
- black solid
- Wooden dowels, 1/8" x 6", two
- Pom poms, two each: 1/4" light pink; 1" dark pink tinsel
- Dark pink chenille stem
- Assorted buttons, 1/2", nine
- Wiggle eyes, 3/8", two
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut 4" cube fromfoam block. Set aside remainder of foam block for future project.
- 2. Cut the following strips from white embossed paper to coverfoam cubes: one 3-1/2" x 12"; two 4-1/2" x 8-1/4"; two 5-1/2"x 10-1/4". In addition, cut one 2-3/4", one 3-3/4", and one4-3/4" square from white embossed paper; set aside.
- 3. Overlap two short ends of 4-1/2"-wide strips 1/4" to createone 4-1/2" x 16-1/4" strip; glue overlapped ends to secure.Repeat with 5-1/2" strips, creating one 5-1/2" x 20-1/4"strip; glue ends to secure. Score and fold each paper strip1/2" from top of long edge to make sharp crease.
- 4. Beginning and ending in center of one side of each cube toprevent visible seams, wrap appropriate paper strip aroundfour sides of each foam cube, allowing paper to extend 1/2"above top edge of cube; do not glue yet. Use fingers to crimppaper at cube corners; remove paper and crisply fold at crimp marks.
- 5. Glue and pin paper strip around cube sides, overlappingends. Clip paper corners above foam and fold excess down totop of each cube; glue and pin to secure. Glue paper squaresto tops of cubes. Use glue gun to glue cubes together asshown; align all seams at back of snowman.
- 6. Cut two 1" x 6" strips from striped paper; glue paperaround dowels. Glue light pink pom poms to dowel ends. Usecraft knife to poke small hole into each side of body; gluedowel ends into cube for arms.
- 7. Cut two 3/4" x 12" strips from striped paper for scarf,noting stripe position. Wrap and glue one piece aroundsnowman's neck; cut second strip in half. To curl scarf tails,gently pull paper strips over side of pencil. Glue tails toneck as shown. Cut 3/4" fringe into scarf ends.
- 8. Paint chopstick tip orange; let dry. Use craft knife topoke small hole into center of face; glue nose into hole.
- 9. Refer to photo to glue wiggle eyes to face. For cheeks,punch two circles from pink paper; glue to face. Cut narrow"C" shape from black paper for mouth; glue in place.
- 10. Cut 1/2" x 10" strip from polka dot paper and glue downcenter front of snowman. Glue buttons to paper. Trim and bendchenille stem to fit over head; glue ends into head and tinselpom poms over ends for earmuffs.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Up On-the-Chimney Snow AngelPaper Blossom BunnyPapered Baby Blocks
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog