Recycled Sweater Mitten Ornament
Cozy up your Christmas tree with warm-and-fuzzy ornaments created from old sweaters. Don't have sweaters on-hand to cut up? Scout local thrift stores - recover reuse recycle reduce!
Completion Time -
1 hour each
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Fabric: homespun, 2-1/4" x 7"; recycled knitted sweater, 6" square;
- assorted scraps
- Tan felt, 5" square
- Assorted buttons
- Double-sided ribbon, 3/8" x 1/4 yd.
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cutpattern from foam block.
- 2. Trace mitten onto tan felt and recycled sweater fabric. Cutout tan mitten on traced line and sweater mitten 1/2" to 3/4"beyond traced line, depending on amount of stretch in sweater.Cut on smaller side if sweater is very stretchy.
- 3. Place foam mitten face down on back of sweater mitten. Pullsweater up and over edges of foam; hot glue in place and trimexcess. Glue felt mitten to back of ornament.
- 4. With wrong side out, fold homespun fabric strip in half tomeasure 2-1/4" x 3-1/2". Hand-sew or glue short ends together,using 1/4" seam. Turn cuff right side out and fold in half.Slip cuff over top of mitten and glue to secure.
- 5. Cut out fabric patches, felt circles, and other shapes todecorate mitten front. Refer to photo as guide. Sew threadthrough buttonholes; glue buttons to mitten.
- 6. Glue ribbon ends together to make loop; glue hanger to corner of cuff.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Colorful Mitten WreathWarm & Cozy Flannel Ornaments
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog