Sleek & Chic Floor Sculpture
A fabulous piece like this would cost hundreds to buy but you can craft your own sculptural art for less than $50. No one will believe you made it from STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheets, two 36" x 12" x 2"
- Black acrylic paint
- Iron Graphite Texture Fierro Medium by DecoArt
- Metallic silver cardstock, 12" x 12", six sheets
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Refer todiagrams to cut foam sheets into appropriate pieces; you willuse only one-third (12" square) of second sheet. Smooth cutedges with fingertips.
- 2. Stir several tablespoons of black paint into texture medium so itappears black; mix well. Add more paint until pleased with color.
- 3. Use putty knife to spread even coat of tinted texturemedium onto 2" edges of all foam pieces; extend 1/4" onto flat surfaces(top and bottom) as well. Lay pieces flat and let dry completely.
- 4. Cut following pieces from cardstock to correspond to foam shapes:eleven 3" x 12" strips; eight 3" x 6" strips; one 6" x 12" piece.
- 5. Use putty knife to spread thin, even coat of paste onto topof first 3" x 12" foam strip, or apply liquid glue. Center one3" x 12" cardstock strip on pasted foam; smooth with fingers.If desired, roll cardstock with rubber brayer to ensure good contact.
- 6. Repeat Step 5 to cover tops of all foam pieces withappropriate cardstock pieces. Glue remaining cardstock tobottoms of two 3" x 6" foam pieces. Let pieces dry completely.
- 7. Refer to diagram to assemble sculpture. Use glue gun toglue first 3" x 12" foam piece to base; back edge of foampiece should rest 1" in front of back edge of base.
- 8. Glue next 3" x 12" foam piece to top of first, overhangingfront edge by about 1/4" and extending toward left. Continueadding foam pieces as shown, offsetting 3" x 12" pieces 1/4"forward or backward with each new addition. Note: These piecesare darker in diagram.
- 9. Lighter pieces on diagram are 3" x 6" foam pieces. Save 3"x 6" pieces covered by cardstock on both front and back forupright pieces at bottom right and top left. Let dry completely.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Contempo Wallpaper Wall ArtRed & Black Tabletop SculpturesRectangle Wall Sculpture
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog