Penguins have more fun! Relive the thrill of that first ride down the sledding hill with this adorable winter centerpiece. Bright colors and snowy details make it a seasonal favorite!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, 1-1/2", four
- Eggs, one each: 5"; 2-1/2"
- Snow-texture paint
- Wooden sled, 8" long
- Fleece fabrics: 8" x 8" black; 12" x 12" white
- Fabric scraps: check, 3" x 22"; yellow dot;
- green dot; blue flannel, 8-1/2" x 10"
- Felt, 9" x 12" each: black; orange
- Buttons, 6mm, one each: green; orange; yellow
- Black beads, two each: 6mm; 5mm
- Yellow pom pom, 1"
- Fiberfill stuffing, small amount
- Cosmetic blush
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslice from bottom of large foam egg. Cut small foam egg inlengthwise thirds; discard center third.
- 2. Paint foam balls with snow paint; let dry.
- 3. Cut pattern pieces as follows: body patterns from fleece;remaining patterns from felt.
- 4. Glue white adult fleece body to front of large foam eggs,applying glue along fleece edges only and stretching edges to back.Glue black body to back of egg, curving black edges over white.
- 5. Fringe ends of checked fabric 1-1/2"; tie scarf around top third of body.
- 6. Glue adult beak and feet pieces together in pairs, applyingvery thin line of glue around outside edge and leaving smallopening for stuffing; let dry. Stuff feet and glue openingsclosed; glue to bottom front of body as shown.
- 7. Use scissors point to poke eye holes in head; glue 6mmbeads into holes. Lightly stuff beak and glue open edges tohead below eyes. Apply blush to cheeks.
- 8. Fold blue flannel fabric wrong sides together; glue seamand let dry. Gather one end and tie closed with blue floss.Turn hat right side out. Fold brim up 3/4" twice and glue haton head. Glue pom pom to top of hat; glue buttons to front of brim.
- 9. Glue two foam balls to top of sled and two under runners tocreate lift. Apply additional snow paint to sled as desired;let dry. Glue adult penguin to sled as shown.
- 10. Center smaller foam egg pieces on white fleece body ovals,pulling fleece to cut side and gluing edges to secure.
- 11. Using two strands black floss, insert needle through flatside of one baby and come out at front near eye area. Take1/4" slanted stitch and return needle to back of head; repeatfor second eye. For second baby, make eyes in same way aslarger penguin. Blush babies' cheeks. Glue beak piecestogether in pairs and glue to faces.
- 12. Glue babies' wings to sides of bodies at "X" indicated onpattern; wings should angle upward. Glue adult wings to top ofbody at "X" indicated on pattern. Wrap wings around babies andglue to secure.
- 13. For each baby's hat, cut 4-1/2" x 8" dotted fabric piece.Fold one long edge up 1/2" twice; glue to secure. Overlap andglue seam. Tie end shut with embroidery floss. Glue hats on heads.
- 14. Glue baby penguins to adult, one over each foot. Glue onebaby's wings over bead eyes. Spot glue scarf end to adultpenguin's hat to create windswept look.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Polar PalsSnow BunniesSkiing Penguin
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog