Mouthwatering Needlefelted Cupcakes
Yummy with zero calories these no-bake felted cupcakes will add a whimsical touch to any kitchen or make 'sweet' wedding shower favors. For added fun display on a pretty cake plate.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 2-1/2"; 1"
- Cones, 6" x 3", three
- Sheet, scrap
- Wool roving, 1/4 oz. each: red; brown; natural; pink
- Felt, one 9" x 12" sheet each: yellow; white
- Adult ribbed socks, one each: white; pale yellow; brown
- White/pastel polka dot ribbon, 3/8" x 1/2 yd.
- Clear glass glitter beads
- Pearl-head pins, 18
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 2"from wide end of each foam cone; set aside cone tops for afuture project. Cut large foam ball in half.
- 2. Apply glue to center of cut side of each half-ball. Gluehalf-balls to wider ends of two cone pieces. Note: Applyingglue to center prevents felting tool from sticking.
- 3. Measure 2" beyond sock ribbing and cut on line; if desiredcolors are not available, use fabric dye to create them.Stretch ribbing over cone bottoms, bringing it even with widertop edge; lemon cupcake has a flat top. Sew gathering stitcharound open bottom of sock and pull tight to cover bottom ofcone; knot and clip threads.
- 4. White cupcake: Place 2" piece of natural roving on scrapfoam and felt into four-petal flower shape; add more roving asneeded. Place small strip of pink roving in center of flowerand needle felt in place. Loosely cover half-ball with pinkroving, letting it "fall" over sides. Needle felt roving inplace, leaving it a bit fluffy. Glue flower to center top ofcupcake. Glue and insert pearl-head pins evenly over frosting.
- 5. Chocolate chip cupcake: Loosely cover small foam ball withred roving; needle felt in place. Loosely cover half-ball withnatural roving, letting it "fall" over sides. Needle feltroving in place, leaving it a bit fluffy. Place nine smallballs of brown roving evenly over natural "frosting" andneedle felt in place. Glue cherry to center top of cupcake.
- 6. Lemon cupcake: Cut yellow and white felt sheets into1/2"-wide strips. Place one yellow and one white striptogether and begin rolling into a pinwheel. Glue new strips toends of previous strips and continue rolling until pinwheel islarge enough to cover cupcake top. Place cotton ball in centerof foam cone base. Gently push center of pinwheel up 1/2" andglue over cupcake. Tie ribbon in bow around edge. Glue glassbead "sprinkles" to top of cupcake.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Needlefelted Easter EggsWedding Cake Package TopperYummy Cupcake Ornament
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog