Woodland Birch Bark & Twigs Wall Art
Mother Nature does know best! Earthy organic textures combine to create gorgeous one-of-a kind wall art that's the focal point of any room.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet:one 12" x 36" x 1" sheet; or three 12" x 12" x 1" squares
- Birch bark sheets**
- Twigs, quantity varies according to thickness;
- straight twigs preferred
- Acrylic craft paint: black, brown
- (**Available at www.barkcanoe.com)
- 1. If using 12" x 12" x 1" squares, skip to Step #2. Usingruler and pencil, score foam sheet to create three, 12" x 12"squares. Wax serrated knife with an old candle. Holding foamsheet firmly on a flat surface, extend one end and cut acrossthe score line, using knife like a saw. Or, try dentalfloss:Stand the sheet on its edge and hold a 20" length ofdental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand atthe bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw thedental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
- 2. Paint edges of foam sheets black, and paint " on top edgeof foam sheets, too.
- 3. Using knippers or heavy-duty scissors, cut pieces of birchbark to measure 12" x 12".
- 4. Attach the birch bark to the fronts of two squares ofSTYROFOAM™brand foam, using a generous amount of lowtemperature glue. Use weights (such as a heavy book) to holdthe bark tight to the surface while the glue hardens.
- 5. Paint the front of remaining foam square brown; let dry.
- 6. With pruning clippers, cut twigs to 12" long. Usinglow-melt glue, glue twigs to foam square until the entiresurface is covered. Let dry. Carefully trim uneven edges.
- 7. Use Velcro tabs to hang on the wall. Or, glue sawtoothpicture hanger to back. For additional hold, insert and gluetwo straight pins through holes in sawtooth picture hanger.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Birch Bark ConesBirch Bark CubesMossy Wall Art
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog