Shimmering Feathers Centerpiece Bowl
Shimmering finishes and exquisite textures make this feather-bedecked centerpiece a standout anytime of year. Master a few easy techniques to get this great look!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: five 3"; three 4"
- Hollow Half Ball, 12"
- Block, 18" x 12" x 2"
- Spray paints: pale turquoise; jade green; olive green; metallic gold
- Dark brown antiquing spray
- Feathers, 20" long: peacock, seven; pheasant, 13
- Dried artichokes, eight
- Twig wreath, 6"
- Dark green reindeer moss
- White tissue paper, four large sheets
- 1. Cover work surface with waxed paper or non-stick craftsheet. Mix one part white glue with two parts water indisposable bowl; stir with spoon.
- 2. Tear tissue paper into small pieces. Dip tissue pieces, oneby one, into glue/water mixture and apply to surface of allfoam balls and outside and top edge of hollow half ball,allowing tissue to wrinkle and overlap. Continue until each ball iscompletely covered. Place balls and half ball on waxed paper to dry.
- 3. Insert chopstick or disposable skewer into each ball anduse as a handle.Cover work area, or use a large cardboardbox as a spray booth.Working in a well ventilated area,spray paint all balls and half ball olive green.Insertchopstick or skewer into foam block while paint dries. (Youwill use the foam block again in Step 6.)
- 4. Very lightly and randomly spray small portions of balls andhalf ball pale turquoise and jade green. Repeat with metallicgold. While gold paint is still wet, very lightly remove somepaint with wadded paper towel. Let all shapes dry completely.Hot glue skewers into 3" and 4" balls; set aside.
- 5. In same way as foam shapes, spray paint dried artichokeswith antiquing spray; let dry.
- 6. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measureand cut two 6" x 10" pieces from foam block. Stack and hotglue foam pieces together inside hollow half ball. Insert fourremaining skewers through foam pieces to secure. Glue smallbits of reindeer moss to top of foam in bowl.
- 7. Pin twig wreath to bottom of bowl to create flat base; besure bowl sits level. Use glue gun to secure pins; cover pinswith small bits of moss.
- 8. Refer to photo to insert feathers into center of bowl;secure ends in foam using glue gun. Use floral shears to trimartichoke stems to 4" length. Glue and insert artichokes andfoam balls into arrangement, around feathers, as shown.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Feather & Mushroom WreathFeather & Mushroom ConeGilded Pomegranate & Greenery Centerpiece
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog