Paper Clay Ghost Trio
Conjure spooky fun with a trio of Halloween visitors perfect for a table centerpiece. Wrap foam cones in air-dry clay; add faces with paint or marker.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, 1-1/2", three
- Cones: two 9"; one 6"
- Black acrylic paint
- Clear acrylic spray sealer
- Lightweight, air-dry paper clay, 3.17 oz. packages, four
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslice from one side of each foam ball; cut tip from each foamcone to create flat "neck" area. Use glue gun to glue balls tocones. If desired, cut 3/4"-thick slice from bottom of one 9"cone to create variety of sizes.
- 2. With very clean hands, combine two packages of air-dry claytogether until smooth and pliable. Roll clay very thin using rolling pin;roll out from center and rotate often similar to making pie crust.
- 3. Enlarge and cut out patterns.
- 4. Place 9" body pattern on clay and cut out using sharp craftknife. Place remaining clay in plastic bag to prevent drying.
- 5. Wrap clay around large foam ghost, overlapping slightly atback as indicated on pattern. Gently shape clay into easyfolds around bottom and rounded tip at top of head. Clay willshrink slightly as it dries, so leave clay loose around bodyand at bottom. Tilt tip of head slightly to give ghostcharacter; refer to photo as guide. Gently lift ghost and usesharp scissors to trim excess clay from bottom edge. Smoothback seam with fingers.
- 6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for second large ghost and small ghost,using appropriate body patterns and remaining packages of clay as needed.
- 7. Cut six arms from clay. Attach arms to sides of bodies witha dot of water; smooth tops with fingertips. Refer to photo toposition arms. When pleased with arrangement, roll small bits of plasticwrap into rolls to supports arms as they dry. Let dry completely.
- 8. Gently sand surface of ghosts; remove dust with soft cloth.Refer to patterns to paint or draw faces on each ghost.Let dry completely.
- 9. Spray ghosts with clear sealer to protect surface; let dry.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Eerie, Cheery Ghostly TrioGhostly Trick-or-Treat CenterpieceFolk Art Halloween Picks
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog