Snow-Tipped Kraft Paper Tree
Here's an inexpensive way to set a festive holiday table or mantle: Recycle brown bags into whimsical curling pine!nches for faux snow-dusted foam-cone trees.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Brown paper grocery bags, three
- White stone-look spray paint
- 1. Cut bottoms from paper bags. Cut a slit down one corner ofeach bag to create three large, flat sheets. Cut away anyprinted portions of bags.
- 2. Wrap one bag around foam cone and secure with craft pins;trim excess along side and bottom of cone, leaving 1" at sidefor overlapped seam. Glue seam in place; pin to secure.
- 3. From remaining bags, cut approximately 95 strips of paper,each 4" long. Five strips should be 3/4" wide, 45 should be 1"wide, and remaining 45 strips should be 1-1/4" wide. Keepstrips divided by width. Cut two small notches into bottom ofeach paper strip as shown in photo; curl strips by pullingpaper over side of pencil.
- 4.Glue tops of paper strips around cone in rows, securingwith craft pins. Glue widest strips around bottom of cone,followed by 1"-wide strips; leave top portion of cone for 3/4"-widestrips. Slightly overlap strips as you move up cone for tight fit.
- 5. Cut a 1" circle from brown paper and glue over tip of cone.Clip edges and fold down to hide ends of paper strips; glueedges to secure and let dry.
- 6.Place cone tree inside large cardboard box inwell-ventilated area; box opening should be facing upward.Following manufacturer's instructions, very lightly spray amist of stone-finish paint over top of tree. Do not oversprayor paper will lose curl and begin to sag; a light spray maycause some sagging, but paper will return to its originalshape as it dries. Let tree dry completely. For heavier snowcoverage, spray very lightly a second time from the sides; let dry.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Faux Felted Holiday TreesRuffled Paper TreesRetro Holiday Houses
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog