Golden Hues Autumn Wreath
This green craft re-uses brown paper bags to create a surprisingly easy yet stunningly beautiful paper leaf-bedecked wreath. Paint cut glue done! Try red 'leaves' for a holiday poinsettia wreath too.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Wreath, Beveled, 12" x 2" x 1"
- Acrylic paints: moss green; barn red;
- metallics in gold, antique gold, copper, gold glitter
- Lightweight brown paper bags
- Gold ribbon: wire-edged metallic, 5/8" x 1/3 yd.; curling
- 1. Prepare paper bags for painting by cutting away bottoms andany printed areas.
- 2. Apply small amount of each acrylic paint to palette or foamplate. Using a damp sponge, sponge acrylic paints over surfaceof paper bags in a thin layer; paper should still be flexiblewhen dry. Goal is to create a variety of seven or eightcomplementary colors.
- 3. To add variety, combine gold and antique gold on spongebefore applying to paper bag. For an aged look, lightly spongemoss green here and there over gold. For a richer hue, spongebarn red and one of the metallic hues, like copper, onto paperbag. Let bags dry completely. If desired, apply gold glitterpaint to bags; let dry.
- 4. Cut painted "papers" into long, 2-1/2"-wide strips. Foldeach strip in half lengthwise. Fold leaf pattern over foldededge of first paper strip and cut out leaf around pattern.Open leaf flat, painted side up. Repeat to cut a total of 200leaves from painted papers, approximately 25-28 of each color.
- 5. Use glue gun to attach leaves to foam wreath. Begin withinnermost row around wreath opening, overlapping leaves asshown. Continue adding rows of leaves around wreath,alternating colors and tucking ends behind previous row. Glueadditional leaves into empty spaces or into areas that appearunbalanced in terms of color placement.
- 6. Cut and curl several short curling ribbon lengths. Tiesmall gold ribbon bow with tails, catching curled lengths inknot. Glue bow to center bottom of wreath as shown.
- 7. Cut short metallic ribbon length and knot ends together forhanger. Use glue gun to glue knot to top center back of wreath.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:[removed link][removed link][removed link]
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog