Beachcombing Wall Art Trio
Relive sand-between-your-toes memories every time you look at this modern DIY wall art mosaic. STYROFOAMâ„¢ Brand foam adapts easily to altered art like this.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Block, 18" x 12" x 1" OR
- Sheet, 36" x 12" x 1"
- Tan acrylic paint
- Ceramic stucco texture gel
- Natural found objects and/or memorabilia of choice
- Thin cardboard
- Hook-and-loop tape tabs
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measureand cut a 12" square from foam block (or sheet); set asideremaining foam for future projects. Cut following blocks fromfoam square: 12" x 6"; 6" x 6"; 5" x 5".
- 2. Measure and cut three pieces of cardboard slightly largerthan foam blocks to aid in handling.
- 3. Arrange found objects and memorabilia on top of each foamblock as desired. When pleased with arrangement, carefully setobjects aside in same manner.
- 4. Using putty knife, spread thin layer of stucco gel ontosides and top of 5" x 5" foam block. Carefully place objectsonto block, gently pressing items down into wet gel to secure.Let dry completely before handling.
- 5. Place small amount of stucco gel into disposable bowl. Addtiny amount of tan paint and mix well; this creates an "aged" look.
- 6. Repeat Step 4 for 6" x 6" and 12" x 6" foam blocks. Be sureto press objects firmly into stucco gel to secure. For largeor thick objects, such as a stone, press object down intosurface of foam to secure. Let dry completely.
- 7. If desired, add additional shading to 6" x 6" block. Thinsmall amount of paint with water to create a very dilute colorwash. Apply wash over dry stucco using small, damp sponge. Usedry rag to remove excess color in some areas. For more "aged"look, apply a second coat of color wash around block edges.Let dry completely.
- 8. Following manufacturer's instructions, apply hook-and-looptabs to back of each block and to desired wall.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog