CRAFTING TIPSPainting. Paint with water-based craft paint. Paints containing solvents may damagethe foam. (See paint manufacturer's instructions for details.)Gluing. For a fast, sure bond, use a low-temperature glue gun. Hot glue guns can beused but might melt a small portion of the foam. (Please follow manufacturer'ssafety instructions when operating a glue gun.) White craft glue is a tried andtrue favorite for STYROFOAM™ Brand Products; use florists' picks or toothpicks tohold pieces together while drying.
- 1. If desired, paint balls of STYROFOAM™. Push a skewer intothe balls to hold while painting; place skewers in a block offoam to hold while balls dry.
- 2. Shape 3" piece of chenille stem into a "U". Dip ends inglue and insert U shape into 2 balls so U shape will slip under thewearer's middle finger while the two balls sit on top of the handto form the puppet's eyes. (1" balls work best for smaller hands.)
- 3. Cut felt shapes for eyes; glue wiggle eyes to felt or attachwiggle eyes directly on plastic foam balls. Glue on other featuressuch as pom-poms and eyelash curls, or felt ears and eyelids.
- 4. Dab glue onto foam and use a skewer to push materials suchas yarn into the foam for hair. Insert chenille stems intofoam for antennae or eye lashes. 5. For antennae, gently curvechenille stems and glue pom-poms onto the tips of shapedchenille stems; dip in glue and insert into foam.
- 5. Modify the finger puppet instructions to create a fingerfriend that resembles your school mascot, favorite pet orother character. Buttons, sequins or glitter are other objectsthat might inspire your creativity.