Wrap it up Acorn Door Swag
This rustic door decor starts with plain brown craft paper; the whimsical, super-sized acorns make it anything but plain.
Completion Time -
1 - 2 hours (not including dry time)
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet: 24" x 12" x 2"
- Balls: two 3"
- Eggs: three 3"
- Faux paper medium, light brown
- Acrylic craft paint: camel, dark brown, cinnamon
- Craft wrapping paper, brown
- Wired, red metallic ribbon, 1-1/2" wide
- Eucalyptus, two bunches
- Pine spray with pinecones, two
- Cedar sprays, two
- Evergreens with small pinecones, four stems
- Twigs, a dozen or more 8" long
- Reindeer moss, green
- Wrapped wire, brown
- Adhesive tape
- Low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
- 1. Wax knife blade with bar of soap or old candle. To make the "nuts", cut a 1" slice from wide end of each egg.
- 2. Cut in half the foam balls. These will be the acorn caps.
- 3. Using palette knife, spread paper medium on the acorn nuts and three of the acorn caps. Let dry (this could take 24 hours or longer in high humidity).
- 4. Using low-temp glue gun, glue caps and nuts together. Paint nut portion camel and acorn cap cinnamon. Lightly brush dark brown on cap, wiping away excess with paper towel. Let dry.
- 5. Twist a 2 inches length of wrapped wire into a loop and insert ends into the top of an acorn cap. Repeat for each acorn.
- 6. Wrap the sheet of STYROFOAM brand foam in brown craft paper to look like a wrapped package. Tie with red ribbon and secure with adhesive tape or floral pins.
- 7. Twist a 6 inches length of wrapped wire into a loop to form a hanger. Insert ends into the top, backside of the wrapped package; if necessary, first poke a small hole through the craft paper with scissors. Glue wire hanger in place.
- 8. Insert pine and cedar sprays vertically into the center of the front side of the package. Secure with low temp glue. Add eucalyptus stems between the sprays.
- 9. Tie a bow with streamers from a 24 inches length of ribbon. Use floral pins and hot glue to secure the bow to the center of the package on top of the greenery sprays. Trim the ends of the ribbon streamers.
- 10. Referring to photo, position acorns down the center of package; thread twigs through the loops in acorn caps. Glue acorns in place.
- 11. Add reindeer moss to cover any exposed stems or glue.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog